Commonly known as Chemotherapy, it involves the use of anti-cancer drugs the cancerous cells. They can be administered both by pill & injection form. Usually malignancy of each organ has a specific treatment protocol.
- Latest medicines with minimum side effects.
- Implantation, care & maintenance of long term vascular devices like- Port-a Cath, Hickman’s line & PICC lines.
- Preventive management of chemotherapy side effects.
- Specially trained team of onco nurses. Pharmacists & junior doctors.
- Day Care Chemotherapy that doesn’t need over night admission.
Key features of medical oncology of AGCH:
In Genetic Profiling the gene mutation of the cancerous cells are checked to predict whether the patient can respond to a particular drug or not. The genes of the patient will help in judging the effectiveness of a method of appropriate cancer treatment.
Surgery is the main modality of treatment of early cancers:
Contrary to the common believe, operation on cancerous lesions including biopsies doesn’t cause spread of malignancy. The timing & technique of the surgery is the utmost importance.
- Surgeries on all types of cancer including Commando surgery for the head & neck cancer, Whipple’s Surgery for pancreatic cancer, major colorectal surgeries, liver resection surgeries, conservative breast surgeries along with Sentinel Lymph Node biopsies etc, are performed with high success rate.
- Bloodless surgeries are performed with latest bleeding control techniques like- CUSA, Ligasure, TissueLink & Electrocautery. This make surgery safer with better outcome.
- Organ preservation surgeries make it possible to preserve organs like- breast, larynx etc.
- Normal physiological functions are preserved as much as possible.
Key features of surgical oncology at AGCH:
ROBOTIC CANCER SURGERY
The Apollo Institutes of Robotic Surgery are committed to providing patients with an exceptional experience using cutting edge treatment options.
Our state-of-the-art operating theatres are equipped with the da Vinci Si surgical system, the most advanced platform for minimally invasive surgery available today. The four armed surgical robotic system is a breakthrough in surgical technology and is offered across the following specialties:
How is Robotic surgery performed?
Robot-assisted surgery integrates advanced computer technology with the experience of skilled surgeons. This technology provides the surgeon with a 10x magnified, high definition, 3D-image of the body's intricate anatomy. The controls in the console allow the surgeon to manipulate special surgical instruments that are smaller, as well as more flexible and manoeuvrable than the human hand. The surgeon is thus in complete control of the surgical procedure. The robot helps replicate the surgeon’s hand movements, while minimizing hand tremors. The surgery is thus operated with enhanced precision, dexterity and control even during the most complex procedures.
Why Robotics for Cancer?
Robot-assisted surgery when indicated for cancer patients offers various unique advantages.
The enhanced precision and control offered by the da Vinci system allows surgeons to perform delicate procedures like prostate surgery while preserving the nerve fibres and blood vessels attached to the gland.
The enhanced vision of the surgical field offers surgeons the ability to clearly differentiate between tissue planes and effect precise tumour removal.
The ability of the da Vinci system to scale the surgeon’s movement allows for better cancer clearance while preserving healthy tissue. Robotic surgery can also benefit patients needing treatment for kidney, cervical, uterine and ovarian cancer.
Patients with colo-rectal cancers can look forward to a quicker return to normal bowel functions and diet following a robot-assisted procedure.
- Advantages of Robot-Assisted Surgery:
- Micro-Precision Surgery
- Better Cancer Control
- Less Damage to Healthy Tissue
- Reduced Risk of Wound Infection
- Minimal Blood Loss during Surgery
- Faster Return to Urinary Continence
- Faster Return of Sexual Function
- Quicker Return to Bowel Movement
- Reduced Hospital Stay
- Faster Recovery
- Less Pain
- Less Visible Scars
Radiation therapy is the use of ionizing radiation to treat malignant tumors or cancers and selected benign tumors. AGCH has introduced for the first time in Eastern India- Novails Tx, the latest technology in Radiation Therapy(RT) , which comes with the advantage of maximizing tumor destruction while minimizing damage to normal tissues.The Novali’s Tx-Key features-
- Accurate & Effective-
- Shapes cancer-fighting radiation beams around the tumors, ensuring maximum prescribed dose of high energy radiation to the tumor.
- Protects surrounding healthy tissues.
- Adopts treatments to breathing & other body movements so that radiation delivery is always safe, precise & accurate.
- Offers hope to those with conditions once considered untreatable & for whom surgery is not an option
- Delivers treatment in 2-3 minutes with dynamic collimators & diverse gentry movements.
- Personalized care by offering one time treatment or a series of treatments.
- Delivers highest dose rates to treat tumours deep inside brain or the rest of the body.
- Non Invasive-
- Frameless radiosurgery & radio therapy offer a more comfortable & non invasive alternative to Frame based radiosurgery & radiotherapy systems that need immobilization with head ring that attaches to the skull.
- Beside Novali’s Tx, the department is equipped with CLINAC iX & High Dose rate Brachytherapy Facilities.
- Nuclear Medicine Services including Dual Head SPECT Gamma Camera.
- 160 slice CT Scan
- MRI Scan (3 Tesla, BrainLab facility)
- 128 Slice FDG PET Scan
- 3D Mammography
- All types of open & minimally invasive biopsies.
- Complete range of Hematology, Biochemistry, Histology & pathology services.
- Basal Cell Carcinoma (Skin Cancer).
- Breast Cancer.
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Colorectalk Cancer.
- Endometrial cancer.
- Lung Cancer.
- Ovarian Cancer.
- Prosted Cancer.
- Thyroid Cancer.
Heamato Oncology & Bone Marrow Transplant:
We offer the entire range of hemato-oncology services including the diagnosis & management of the entire spectrum of acute & chronic leukemias, lymphomas & myelomas. The hospital has a dedicated 6 bedded Bone Marrow Transplant Unit.
We have facilities for Apheresis, HLA typing, flow cytometry & irradiation of blood, Single Donor Platelet Transfusion (SDPT).
We also treat conditions like Aplastic Anaemia, Thalassemia, ITP, Haemophilia & other benign blood disorder.
To help the little warriors bravely fighting cancer, the hospital is equipped with multidisciplinary facilities related to treatment of paediatric cancers, including haematology, medical oncology, surgical oncology, radiation oncology with trained medical team.